Thursday, March 17, 2022

DIY Hair Spray: Make This Simple and Natural Homemade Hair Spray

This DIY hair spray is simple and natural. So stop using chemicals on your hair and make this fruit-based homemade hair spray recipe instead!

I was so excited to share this homemade hair spray recipe that I had a hard time conducting an adequate test phase! But after a month of use, I’m thrilled with the results. (UPDATE: I’ve been using this formula for over two years now, and won’t ever go back to store-bought!)

Here’s how and why I make my own DIY hair spray.

DIY Hair Spray Allows Me To Control Ingredients

Nowadays I have very thick, curly, long(ish) hair and need to use a generous amount of hair spray no matter how I style it. (My hair scares Matt if I don’t tame it with at least a little bit of hair spray.) I used to be a fan of maximum hold hair spray, but it left my hair so crunchy my 4-year-old nephew wanted to touch it every chance he got.

Also, the chemicals and cost of keeping my coif looking good frustrated me. I cringe when I think about the chemicals I inhale with cheap hair spray, not to mention that it sits on my hair all day. (Poison control categorizes hair spray as minimally toxic.)

The cost of natural hair spray tends to make me cringe too.

It’s time for something different. It’s time for homemade hair spray.

To my delight, Matt received a basic recipe for DIY hair spray from a DIYNatural reader named Charli. I. Was. Giddy!

I tested the recipe, made a few tweaks, and came up with this wonderful recipe for DIY hair spray.

DIY Hair Spray Homemade Make
Print

DIY Hair Spray: Citrus-Lavender

This DIY hair spray is simple and natural. So stop using chemicals on your hair and make this fruit-based homemade hair spray recipe instead!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Cooling Time 15 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 9 ounces
Author Betsy Jabs
Cost $1

Equipment

Ingredients

  • 1 whole orange (For dark hair OR use lemon for light hair, preferably organic to avoid having pesticides in your hairspray.)
  • 2 cups filtered water (or distilled)
  • 2-3 Tbsps high proof vodka (or other clear grain alcohol)
  • 6-8 drops lavender essential oil

Instructions

  • Start your DIY hair spray by cutting a whole orange or lemon into wedges and combine with 2 cups of water in a small pot. Boil over medium-high heat until liquid is reduced by half.
    1 whole orange, 2 cups filtered water
  • Strain liquid through cheesecloth into a measuring cup. If you boiled too much liquid out add water until you have 1 cup. Allow citrus juice to cool.
  • Combine alcohol and essential oils in a small bowl, swirl to mix, then add to the cup of citrus juice. (Feel free to experiment with your favorite essential oil or leave them out altogether.)
    2-3 Tbsps high proof vodka, 6-8 drops lavender essential oil
  • Use a funnel to pour your DIY hair spray into a spray bottle with a fine mister and shake to combine ingredients. Shake before each use.

Notes

This is not a maximum hold hair spray that will freeze a prom up-do or 80’s bangs. I can say with confidence that it’s a flexible-hold formula. I was a loyal user of firm-hold hairspray for years before trying this formula, now I PREFER this to my old sprays.
This DIY hair spray formula has been tested on my brunette hair. Use oranges for darker hair, and lemons only if your hair is light-colored. There is a chance the lemon can lighten your hair when exposed to sunlight.

Grab the orange or lemon sitting in your fruit bowl and give this homemade hair spray a whirl!

*******

DIY Hair Spray: Make This Simple and Natural Homemade Hair Spray was written by Betsy Jabs.



* This article was originally published here

No comments:

Post a Comment